These Seven Stats about Office Printing Costs Will Get You Thinking

The CDS team gathered seven essential statistics to get every business leader to think differently about their document solution. 

  1. Companies spend an average of $725 per employee on printing per year. Okay, let's break this down: team members constantly have printing needs like presentations for meetings, contracts, and proposals. These take up a fair amount of paper and toners and rack up costs to the company. The higher the number of employees your organization has, the higher your printing cost.
  2. Print and other document-related expenses are typically the third highest business operating expenses after rent and payroll. By rolling out strategies like MPS, you can significantly reduce your business expenses by reducing office printing costs.
  3. 90% of companies don’t know how many printers they have or how much they spend on print. Let's put it into perspective: Nine out of every ten companies cannot efficiently account for spending and waste associated with printing and document costs.
  4. 65% of printed documents get thrown away or recycled the same day they are printed! This does not account for the prints sent to the printer and never picked up by the staff who sent the print.
  5. Printing-related costs can account for up to 3% of the company's overall expenses. For context, small businesses record an average net profit margin of 7% to 10%. Consider how much you can save by controlling your office printing costs.
  6. 40 to 60% of IT help desk calls are print-related. This means one of the biggest headaches IT desks face is printer-related issues.
  7. According to the Global Print Security Survey 2019 published by Quocirca, about 60% of businesses had been victims of at least one print-based data loss, and 11% of all security incidents were print-related. 

For over 26 years, our team has helped organizations of all sizes achieve efficient document solutions, whether you are looking for the right copier for your company size and industry or looking to deploy managed print services to put your entire setup under control. Click here to speak to a CDS Expert today.

Want to learn more about Managed Print Services and it they can help your organization? Download The Ultimate Guide to Managed Print Services by CDS.


About CDS

Beyond copiers and printers, CDS offers a full suite of technology solutions ranging from Managed Print Services, to Managed IT Services, and Project-Based IT Services, providing our customers a Single Source for all their business technology needs.

Read More


Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.